Monday 8 September 2014

Windfall Chutney


A few jars of Windfall Chutney I have just made. Recipe below



One of many boxes of Apples from our four 70 year old Apple Trees. We don't spray them or thin them or pick them. They must be ready when they fall then it's eat, freeze or make into 
WINDFALL CHUTNEY
         3 lbs Apples              2 Large Onions,   
         1 cup White sugar     1 cup Demerara Sugar, 
         I cup Vinegar            1 cup dried Mixed Fruit, 
         Half teaspoon Salt    1 flat teaspoon Curry Powder
The measuring cup I use is 250ml.  Simply put the above in a big saucepan.  Simmer on low stirring occasionally until all the ingredients are soft and it looks and tastes like Chutney.  Please keep a lid on on the saucepan or the liquid will evaporate.  You would then be tempted to add more liquid like I did once and ruined it.  I always us this recipe because Hubby likes it. 


Hubby busy making Cider using this Apple Press that he made 

4 comments:

  1. Plum tomatoes (Roma) are really for cooking; not so good in salads. Definitely Cucumbers. Your recipe sounds good, although I've given up making chutney. Branston is now available here, and I find it hard to beat. I'll take a note of your recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Cro. I am cooking the Tomatoes with cheese on toast now I know they are not salad ones. Marion x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for sharing your chutney recipe, it looks lovely!
    Happy week!
    Helen xox

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice photos, thanks for sharing the recipe. One of my favorite tasks down my plots is making lots of good compost which I think is better for both plants and the soil rather than manure and many fertilizers.

    ReplyDelete